Some of you may have wondered why throughout the month of November, a number of male teachers were sporting more facial hair than usual. The teachers were growing mustaches for a month-long event called Movember. Movember is a prostate cancer awareness campaign that started in Australia.
Once one registers as a participant at the Movember website, he is officially known as a “Mo Bro.” The Mo Bro must start the month of November completely shaven and grow a moustache throughout the 30 days. Participants are not only helping because they are seeking sponsorship in order to raise funds for their mustache growing exertions, but they are also walking advertisements for the awareness of men’s health issues. The crazier the mustache, the more awareness the participants will spread; common mustaches during the month of Movember are the Handlebar, a bushy mustache with ends that point up; the Fu Manchu, with its long, downward pointing ends; and many more. The funds that are raised will go to prostate cancer research as well as other cancers that affect men. In the past, Americans have raised $7.5 million for Movember, and worldwide $174 million was raised.
According to the American Cancer Society one in every six men will get prostate cancer during his lifetime, and one in every 36 will die from it. Prostate Cancer is the second leading cause of death in men, following lung cancer. Movember hopes that through awareness and donations, prevention as well as progress in research will greatly decrease this statistic.
How to get involved for next Movember:
- Once registered at Movember.com each Mo Bro must begin the 1st Movember with a clean shaven face
- For the entire month of Movember each Mo Bro must grow and groom a moustache
- There is to be no joining of the mo to one’s side burns (that is considered a beard)
- There is to be no joining of the handlebars to one’s chin (that is considered a goatee)
- Each Mo Bro must conduct himself like a true country gentleman